A 62-year-old man has completed his epic cycling feat for national charity Dementia UK, taking on 100 of the UK’s toughest hills in just 12 days.
Meet Richard Burt, a cycling enthusiast who Sanctuary Care has proudly sponsored to take on a gruelling challenge for Dementia UK.
Inspired by Simon Warren’s famous book ‘100 Greatest British Cycling Climbs’, Richard has set himself a challenge of raising £50,000 for Dementia UK by taking on the UK's most iconic and toughest climbs across England, Wales and Scotland in just 12 days during August – travelling day and night to each climb with his team of volunteers – for a very special reason.
- 100 climbs
- 12 days
- £50,000 for Dementia UK*
- One reason – his wonderful mum, Peggy, who has had Alzheimer's for the past six years, is currently living with dementia in our Redhill Court Residential Care Home in Birmingham.
Sanctuary Care’s support
As a main sponsor, Sanctuary Care has shown that we are behind Richard and his team throughout their inspirational journey by:
- Donating £5,000 towards his cycling fundraising mission
- Providing a professional and branded kit for Richard and his team of volunteers
- Supporting with fundraising projects, starting with Time for a Cuppa festivities back in March
- Spreading the word of his challenge. Sharing is caring, spread the word and help Richard and his team hit £50K
- Cheering him on!
*Dementia UK 2015. Charity Registration Number: 1039404
By now you all know what Richard Burt, Sanctuary Care’s cycling hero challenge is all about: 100 hills + £50K for Dementia UK = heart-warming challenge in honour of his mum, Peggy.
Sir Bradley Wiggins won his fifth Olympic gold medal over the weekend and is now the most decorated UK Olympian ever so it’s no surprise that he was the inspiration behind Sanctuary Care’s Richard Burt hitting his own cycling saddle just four years ago – and is now set to take on a record-breaking challenge of his own.
It’s official – it’s less than a week until Richard Burt and his team hit the greatest hills in the UK – from the steep (and slightly terrifying!) to the beautiful climbs in picturesque spots, as penned by Simon Warren in his 100 Greatest Cycling Climbs book.
The single digits are here, just over a week (9 days to be precise) until Richard Burt and his team face Simon Warren’s 100 Greatest Cycling Climbs in a record-breaking 12 days for Dementia UK with Sanctuary Care’s support.